Download the Client
The first step to playing the game is to download and install the Ultima Online client. We recommend the classic 2D client for best results. The installation package is about 950 megabytes in size.
Download the free UO client from the official site here
Alternate link here;
If those fail try these only as a last resort here
There is no need to purchase a Stygian Abyss upgrade or account code; playing on ABCUO is free!
Connect to ABC Ultima Online
Once you have downloaded and installed Ultima Online, the next step is to connect to our server. If you start Ultima Online right away, you'll connect to the pay servers run by EA. There are a few ways to connect to ABCUO for free.
The Ultima Online client can be redirected to ABCUO by doing this:
- Find the Login.cfg file. It's in your UO installation folder, for example:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\Login.cfg
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\Login.cfg
- Replace that file with our configuration; Download a new Login.cfg file here (Right-click and "save link as" to your hard drive, then move it to your UO folder.)
If you prefer to manually change your Login.cfg file, do this:
- Open Login.cfg in a text editor such as notepad.
- Replace the contents of the entire file with this line:
- You're done! Start Ultima Online by running client.exe from your UO folder, then type in a new account name and password to create your account.
Patch to version 220.127.116.11
It is recommended that you patch to version 18.104.22.168 of the Ultima Online client; lower client versions may work but are not supported. Client versions older than 22.214.171.124 will not work at all.
To patch, you should run the UOPatch program:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\UOPatch.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\UOPatch.exe
or something similar to that.
If you use the classic client and razor, you can interface with a mapping tool called UOCartographer. Download UOCartographer from its web site.
Using the Enhanced Client
The enhanced (aka Stygian Abyss) Ultima Online client can be used to connect to ABCUO. It is still in beta so unfortunately if you have any problems with it we cannot provide any technical support regarding its use.
- Download the Enhanced Client.
The installer for the enhanced client can be downloaded here
- Patch the Enhanced Client. After downloading the installation package, run Ultima Online. This will start the patch process which will download some very large files - be patient! Let the patcher run to completion. After the patcher completes, press Cancel to exit.
- Update the Enhanced Client. To connect to ABCUO, you must update the Stygian Abyss program - download the updater here.
Move the file somewhere convenient for you and double click it. The updater will create a new Stygian Abyss program called ABC.exe in your Ultima Online folder; use this to connect to ABCUO. On some systems, you might need to run the program as administrator.
The updater currently runs with enhanced client version 126.96.36.199. If the client version changes, the updater will not work. Please notify staff if a higher version is required.